Monday, October 27, 2008

Weekend in Review, NFC

NFC comes to an end this evening...
----Friday----
Friday night, I gathered with some of 48 Hour Film Project Des Moines' finest to receive our character, prop, line, and genre (Alex Watkins, chiropracter; a net; "Darn the luck!"; fantasy or film de femme). We chose to go with fantasy, probably because La Femme Nakita is the only Femme I want on my brain. Leather zip up onesie ftw. Some ideas came out, we settled, we threw out ideas for our story, then others departed. I stayed to help write the script. That was done at 2am, seven hours after we received our info. Leave, sleep, then return on Saturday around 11:30am, breakfast borrito in one hand and a can of Dr. Dogg in the other.
----Saturday----
I arrived to the fellas going over location and shooting plans for the day. Etc. etc. I depart with our director to pick up our lady talent... two beautiful young ladies; one of which I may suggest is the cutest lady I've encountered in my journeys. We wait around for them to take forever (I said they were ladies, amirite?). I then drove us to Ewing Park, where we wasted WAYYYYY (notice the capitalization with additional letters on the end for emphasis) too much time. It was pretty awesome to see the way this group works, with proper equipment and whatnot. The park was a great place to spend what'll probably be the last really nice Saturday of the year. Moving along, we got some footage at B&B Supermarket, downtown around Nollen Plaza, and at our Producer/Editor/Co-Writer's sister's house. By the last location, I was spent. I spent a lot of time in my car listening to Big D & the Kids Table, then Dr. Dog. It was just after we left the park when our director decided to veer away from our script in favor of some cheesier gag shots. Being the group's most novice member, my attempts to keep us on task were most futile and exhausting. I ended up driving the two actresses home all by myself, marking the first time I've been alone in my car with two ladies, let alone two very attractive ones. It was pretty super awkward as I had nothing to say (never do in those situations), but I survived and am stronger for it. I returned home to watch SNL and go to sleep.
----SNL----
This episode was without a doubt, the funniest this cast has put together. The Registered Sex Offender Trick-or-Treat sketch with Will Forte was fantastic. Jon Hamm's Don Draper and John Ham sketches must've made Josh Brolin envious. Why were all of Brolin's sketches so bad!?! I was worried about weekend update with Seth Myers as I've never seen him do anything funny. Amy Poehler wasn't there because Will Arnett's child was emerging from the murky depths (I realize the Lady of the Lake was Matt Besser, but it was a UCB sketch so the reference works!). I've gotta say, I didn't mind a solo Seth Myers. A couple of his quips came off somewhat Norm Macdonald, which I am a fan of. I suggest you go to Hulu and watch as much of this episode as is available.
----Sunday----
LONGGGG (see earlier parenthetical explanation) day. I worked from noon 'til five, then drove home for a snack before heading to band practice. After waiting for Kenny to show up, we practiced a couple hours and I headed over to meet back up with the NFC team. We ate some Jimmy Johns, chatted a bit about comics, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, and future Marvel movies. Then we parted ways so that Sam could get back to editing. The couple of bits I've seen of his work so far were excellent. I went over to a buddy's house, where we played some of the most epic Super Bomberman I've ever witnessed... dramatic draws like whoa. I'm pretty good at committing suicide via bomb in that game. I'm wondering if the Gaza Strip kinda looks like a real world Super Bomberman? I didn't wonder that last night though. I just went home and got my sleep on.
----NOW----
I'm going to head over the NFC team hub to record some voices and get my name in the credits a few more times! Actually, I've gotta add some pictures to this entry and get dressed before I head over there. Honesty.
----EDIT----
I'm not going to bother with pictures.

No comments: