Friday, November 7, 2008

Chiengarang!

I screened the movie Happy-Go-Lucky by myself at the Fleur last night. I had a choice between it and Rachel Getting Married, and I made a very poor decision. I had heard that H-G-L was an incredibly optimistic film; that it leaves audiences feeling just as happy as the lead character, Poppy. About fifteen minutes into the film, I realized I had been lied to. I spent an hour and a half waiting for anything to happen (and hoping that anything was the movie ending). It was brutal. Poppy is annoying, but nobody in the film seems to notice that. The only two scenes with any emotional value felt completely out of place due to the monotony of the story surrounding them (a scene involving a hobo, that left me wondering WTF; as well as what I assume was the climax of the movie: the final driving lession). I liked the idea of a light film; especially coming into today and the oppressive weather on the horizon. Unfortunately, this is not a light film. It's two hours of babysitting an adult, who may be retarded. I don't have the qualifications for such a task.

I plan to watch Rachel Getting Married this weekend. After H-G-L though, I'm leary of anything that isn't a silly comedy. I think I'll go see Role Models first... it looks like the type of movie I can't not like. Exhibit A) Paul Rudd. This fella fully won me over in Knocked Up, when referencing Back to the Future at the dinner table with Seth Rogen. However, his roles in Wet Hot American Summer, 40 Year Old Virgin, The Ten, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall have all been just as good. The only potential problem with this film is Exhibit B) Sean William Scott. I've enjoyed two of his roles out of however many he's done. The first being the redneck with a tranquilizer gun in Old School (which anybody could've played) and the second being an excellent performance in a move that I really enjoyed, The Promotion, opposite John C. Reilly. I'm hoping that he'll be more of the latter character in this film versus Stifler. Stifler is too much like a lot of people in real life that I hate for no reason beyond the way they carry themselves. This is why I don't go to Drink! the Original Fun Bar. Dudebros. Fuck dudebros. Maybe I'm just jealous that instead of intelligence, these cocky motherfuckers won out in the gene-pool where it matters (looks, gel-enhanced hair, social skills, and parents' money to buy lots of booze). Exhibit C) McLovin. It'll be interesting to see if McLovin can separate himself from SuperBad with this role and his upcoming caveman in the new Harold Ramis movie. Either he IS McLovin or a pretty decent young actor. Exhibit D) Cameos. There will no doubt be some appearances by people I enjoy seeing in movies. This is always a good thing. The only bad cameos involve Wonda Sykes... I'm looking at you Curb Your Enthusiasm. I dislike Wonda Sykes nearly as much as I dislike Queen Latifah. I'm not racist and/or sexist, I just hate these two women, especially the latter. My proof is that I don't mind Whoopi Goldberg (I used to watch Hollywood Squares everyday after school - Bruce Vilanch, ftw). Remember when Jimmy Fallon made a movie with Queen Latifah? Worst. Idea. Ever. What has Fallon done since? Actually, Fever Pitch was a pretty alright film... and aside from SNL, Mr. Fallon didn't have a great resume before Taxi... I am kinda looking forward to his and Lorne Michaels' take on late night next year; if only because it means Conan replaces Leno; therefore, no more Leno... Who in his or her right mind prefers Leno over Letterman? Fools!

...and I'm out.

No comments: