Friday, November 21, 2008

Synechdoche, New York

Synecoche, New York only has a sixty four percent rating on RottenTomatoes.com. This is almost as upsetting as a majority of California voters blatantly being bigots (alliteration, ftw). FACT: People, on the whole, are morons. SUBFACT: You already knew that. I'm not surprised that some of the morons gave this movie a bad review. Charlie Kaufman's directorial debut is wholly awesome and very nearly flawless (the film drags a bit in the resolution - my only complaint). First, the look of the film, his sets and shots, is fantastic (blimp, also ftw). His story, (the script to which I couldn't possibly imagine trying to comprehend) is as brilliant and complex as anything I've subjected myself to. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is the next Tom Hanks (maybe his son will make Orange County 2 with Schuyler Fisk; so cute!). PSH's performance enhances to perfection the drama and incredibly dark, dry comedy throughout the film. IMO, he is the best actor currently in the business (just as Anne Hathaway is the best actress and one hot babe). The movie is incredibly profound, but I'm certain that Kaufman has planted obvious clues into the depths of his message within the film; characters announce premises left and right. Still, I have to see the movie again to see which parts in this synecdoche I may have missed.

No comments: